The Institute for Theoretical Physics (ITP) was founded in 1928. Today, it employs about 100 staff members.
The institute counts nine permanent professors (C. Anastasiou, N. Beisert, G. Blatter, M. Gaberdiel, G.M. Graf, R. Renner, T. Schulthess, M. Sigrist and M. Troyer) and four permanent senior researchers (P. de Forcrand, A. Gehrmann-de Ridder, V. Geshkenbein and A. Lazopoulos). Furthermore, the ITP presently hosts two Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) professors (S. Huber and O. Zilberberg) as well as several SNSF Ambizione Fellows.
The Institute is presently involved in two SNSF National Centres of Competence in Research (QSIT and SwissMAP) and hosts four ERC-grant awardees (GaugeGravSym, SIMCOFE, PertQCD and MCatNNLO).